Sunday 5 September 2010

Love and War

A year ago today, Rob and I got married at Holy Trinity Brompton Church in London. Many friends had warned us beforehand that the wedding day would simply fly past, and that we should savour each moment.

True enough, that day came and went. When we cycled off (yes, on a bicycle!) into the street in Sloane Square trying to find our friend's hired car which was waiting for us, our adrenaline levels were still soaring high. We kept laughing our heads off as we dragged our luggages towards the train to Gatwick Airport at almost 1am, me in my turquoise Chinese cheong sum, and Rob in his T shirt and jeans (for easy cycling).

Friends (mostly girls) have asked me over the past months - so, how is it like being married?

They almost always get shocked when they hear my answer, which goes along the lines of:

Marriage is the most amazing thing that's ever happened to me, but it's also the hardest thing I've ever done.

(Now, before any male reader gets a bit defensive for Rob, I can confirm that he agrees with me too)

Marriage is hard. And I'm not sure why we (most people) still find that surprising.

Perhaps it's because of the far too often endings in romantic films, where the hero returns from somewhere and gets united with his beloved, or when the confused young woman finally chooses the "right guy" (by ditching her boring fiance for the exciting new kid on the block) and they proclaim their everlasting love for each other, and so on and so forth.

You get the idea.

For some reason, we human beings have been conditioned to think that when such romantic scenarios happen, they lead to a state called Happily Ever After which incidentally does not involve anything mundane or inconvenient like washing up after a meal, arguing over who should take out the trash, being too exhausted and stressed out to say nice things to your exhausted and stressed out spouse, or the more serious issues (which are very real possibilities) like the pain of rebellious teenage children, long term sickness, infertility, depression...

We have been fortunate that we haven't experienced any serious issues in our first year of marriage, but to say that it has been a cruise like what Hollywood movies and popular music often imply will be a lie.

We love each other, but we have also found loving difficult at various points. Our selfishness, our seemingly never ending capacity to hurt each other, even unintentionally, and the realness of feeling like we're enemies instead of lovers, become increasingly apparent, and painful to face or admit.

We are often amazed at how much happiness we can have in our marriage, but equally how frustrating and hard it can be.

Too often we think of marriage as the end to romance (for men mostly) or the start of eternal bliss (for women mostly). I would say both perceptions are misconceived.

Marriage is the start of the real adventure of life, where in the safety of life long commitment (if you choose to anyway), you grow to know the other person more and more deeply and learn to love him or her above yourself - which is extremely easy to say but fabulously hard to do.

Choosing to live like this definitely comes with a cost, but the rewards are, though they may not be immediate, unimaginably wonderful.

PS In case it's not clear, I totally recommend marriage!

If you enjoyed this post, you might also like My Obsession with Dust, Sweat and What Not

9 comments:

Mikaela said...

Hi Christine,

I enjoy reading your blog entries since my husband recommended it to me a few weeks ago. I have always admired those who dare to leave the comfort of their high-paying jobs and do something completely different and may not yield the same (financial) security, but likely it's something more fulfilling. And perhaps therefore, he sent me the link to your blog.

Your take on your first year of marriage to Rob is candid and honest, and I find myself identifying with your sentiments - I've been married for 6 months now. I can't agree more with you when you say "Marriage is the start of the real adventure of life...which is extremely easy to say but fabulously hard to do."!

Looking forward to your future entries, and happy first anniversary to you and Rob!

Christine said...

Dear Mikaela

Thanks so much for your comment and encouragement.

Sometimes I question why I write this blog, it can feel so self-indulgent at times (I mean, I'm not a celeb or a PhD in anything, so why should I think anyone would be interested in reading anything I care to write?), but I've decided that I just want to share my thoughts/struggles, in hope that it may help someone along the way or stimulate some discussions (I love discussing things!)...

What's your own journey like? I would love to hear more.

Congratulations on your recent marriage! It can be hard work isn't it, but I think it has huge potential to pay off...

I read this book recently by John and Stasi Eldredge called Love and War, and they argue that the single most important thing we're here on earth to do is to learn how to love.

Which I think is totally crazy but beautiful!!

May you and your husband continue to keep your hearts soft for each other!

Christine

Mikaela said...

Hey Christine,

Thanks for your reply!

I think it's great to have a blog like yours - discussing life, careers, struggles, dreams, passions and all. It may seem self-indulgent at times but I'm sure it's a fanastic outlet for your thoughts and creativity, and it's also good for people like me who enjoy reading a good (sometimes thought-provoking) post :)

Having spent my growing up years in Singapore, I guess I am the usual get-a-stable-job-after-graduating-and-hang-in-there-forever kind of person. But this is not to say I am without dream(s) or passion(s). Sadly as time tick by and the longer I remain in the rate race, I find myself getting less passionate about pursuing my dream(s). Sometimes I even question myself what my dreams, my passions are now.

Perhaps that's why reading some of the previous posts on your blog is a form of escapism for me...and at the same time, remind myself that there are indeed brave and happy people like you out there who dare to do things at what may seem an opportunity cost - and that $$ isn't everything.

Thanks for the book recommendation! Will go look for it coz it sounds like it could provide a great insight on relationships and love. I always enjoy learning other people's perspectives on these.

Yes, marriage is hard work - but like you, I believe its rewards and joys are tremendous as well!

Keep writing and blessed day!

Christine said...

Hi Mikaela

Thanks for your sharing your honest thoughts!

I'm not asking you to quit your jobs (though I'm sure many readers read it like that!) but just to think through what you'd REALLY like to do, if there wasn't any constraint whatsoever in your life. I think sometimes we can be afraid to even just think about it.

I can identify with what you're saying, at least to an extent, not least because I come from a similar background too - where academic performance, financial stability and conventionality are celebrated and not questioned. And I'm not saying these are not good - there are many good things with having a conventional life, but I guess I'm always trying to encourage my friends to try to be honest with themselves about what they themselves want to do, as opposed to what their families/friends/world would rather have them do.

I do have friends who love their busy conventional jobs and find meaning and purpose in what they do. They also tend to really enjoy the rest of the time when they're not working as well - so they're not 100% consumed by their work.

That's not to say that I don't struggle with any of these even if my apparently (relatively) unconventional life. Being naturally risk adverse (and having done law doesn't help it!) it's not always easy to take the road less travelled...

Anyway, if you were interested in reading, I would highly recommend Don Miller's A Million Miles in a Thousand Years - he talks about living life as a good story, which I found very profound and helpful.

Re the marriage book, just to let you know, Love and War is a Christian book. Of course you can read it too if you're not Christian, but you might not understand half of what they're talking about! :)

If you wanted a less Christian book (but nonetheless very helpful), I would recommend Loving Against the Odds by Rob Parsons, who's a former lawyer and now he heads up Care for the Family, an organisation that helps families around the world with family issues. It's a great book!

Mikaela said...

Hi Christine,

Hehe, don't worry, I know you are not asking your readers to quit their jobs ;) But I agree fully that one should think through what one would really love to do... and I guess it's because of the constraints (whatever they are for the individual), people usually fall short of going all out to do what they love. Mostly one would settle for trying to find a balance or fit in what they enjoy doing with their routine conventional lives.

I find conformity is the norm for our society, and therefore people may also consider a lot more factors before doing something 'unconventional'. But I think such 'unconventionality' should be celebrated, esp if it's been well-thought out and consequences are anticipated.

To be able to find meaning and purpose in what one does is very essential for the person to carry on in a contented and happy manner.

My husband and I are Christians and so while at times we struggle to find the meaning and purpose of our work routines, thank God, we have Him to see us through!

I am sure you have your struggles leading this seemingly (for me) carefree wonderful lifestyle. But I am also convinced that you will find such fulfillment that money will never be able to buy :)

I'll be making a career switch soon (though still in the corporate world), but hopefully it will allow me more time to think through what I'm passionate about again, and actually start reaching out for my dreams. Baby steps!

Thank you again for the recommended books. I'll be heading to a book shop soon!

Pete said...

Thanks for the entry Christine, this did bring back memories of playing at your wedding! Thank you also for your honesty about marriage, many people idealise marriage, and (especially in church environments) feel the need to display a "perfect" marriage. As more of my friends have gotten married, I have noticed that they all agree that marriage is great but requires constant work; sometimes hard work as you are kind to your spouse even when you have had a hard day and don't feel like it.

Looking forward to seeing you both when you are next in London!

Christine said...

Hi Pete!

Thanks for dropping a note :)

Yes we were actually watching our wedding video (bits of it only!) on our anniversary and heard your beautiful playing again! Thanks so much for doing that for us. We LOVED the music.

Will be so good to see you again (we just arrived this morning!)

Christine

Katey said...

Hey Christine, I enjoy reading your blog and loved this entry. As a no-longer-newly-wed (ha! Kidding!) with our two year anniversary coming up in about three weeks, I could really identify with what you write. I had been fed too many fairy tales before marriage! The realness of marriage sometimes still surprises me. And the wonders of it make me so thankful.

Looking forward to seeing more of you when you move back here.

Blessings
Katey

Christine said...

Hey Katey

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Yes it will be cool to hang out more when we get back - looking forward to being your neighbour! :)

xx