Thursday 2 September 2010

The Happy Lawyer

This morning I came across another book on happiness - this time through my lovely dad - one which would interest many of my (lawyer and non lawyer) friends and ex colleagues: The Happy Lawyer (a misnomer?)

I'm totally plagiarising my dad, but here's a quick summary of the first half of the book.

The authors looked at the relationship between happiness and dissatisfaction of lawyers and made the following observations:
  • Public vs private sector: 2 out of 3 lawyers in the public sector were reported as being more satisfied
  • Age: Lawyers over 50 years old are happier than those under 50
  • Income: There is a weak link between income and life satisfaction
  • Sex: Female lawyers have become less happy during the past 35 years
  • Race: Black and Hispanic lawyers are happier than Asians and Whites, apparently because more Blacks and Hispanics work in nonprofit or government legal jobs, and more Asian and White lawyers work for large law firms.
The authors also suggested 6 keys to life satisfaction:
  • Security - physical or economical
  • Autonomy - ability to make your preferred choices
  • Authenticity - being who you really are
  • Relatedness - connectivity to others
  • Sense of competence
  • Self-esteem
According to the authors, self development towards these six intrinsic goals produces more happiness than focussing on extrinsic goals, such as becoming rich or famous.

I found this echoes what Oliver James says in Affluenza (which is a great book by the way) - that the motivation of our actions is important, that if we are driven by "affluenza-ish" desires in what we do (wanting to be famous, rich etc), we will tend to have less satisfaction, than if we were driven by intrinsic values (like we actually like our job, the job develops us), even if the latter may actually end up making us famous and rich.

And finally, the authors introduced some tips from what they called the Happiness Toolbox:

make your job matters to you - choose meaningful projects - become a key player - make you job affect other people - identify how your work has bettered lives - strive for a work-life balance - discuss work flexibility with sympathetic (!) boss - make your job more secure - know and become friends with those who control your fate (I don't like how this sounds) - meet or exceed company expectation - take control of your work product and work space - develop your own strategy for meeting goals - personalise your work space (like with Hello Kitty!) - connect with people - collaborate - eat lunch with colleagues or clients - participate in company events (eating lunch will be a start) - choose face-to-face work when possible - if happiness seems possible (!) in your job, commit to that job - don't always look for greener grass (water your own) - remind yourself what you really like about your job - think about projects that have "made time fly" - look for challenging tasks - avoid when possible, too easy tasks (hmm) - avoid making upward comparisons - choose when possible, projects that benefit the less fortunate - find out what experiences have made your colleagues or work-friends happy - know your strength and what gives you pleasure - align your work with your value

Have you got enough ideas yet?

---

I don't think I agree with many things proposed by the authors, but there are definitely some interesting observations and some useful tips.

Although I am no longer in that world, I am still deeply intrigued by how lawyers / corporate people are finding their jobs.

One thing that popped into my head is what about the question of purpose - both in terms of one's own purpose in work/life and the corporate purpose of where you work. Do these matter to you?

As usual, I would love to hear about what you think of any of this!

5 comments:

The Reluctant Blogger said...

Hi Christine, I love your blog posts! Keep them coming! I tend to agree with you though about this book - my feeling is that if ultimately you hate your job, "watering" isn't the solution - getting the hell out is!

Christine said...

Hi Reluctant Blogger (do I know you actually? can't see your profile!)

Thanks for that!

I tend to agree with you too...

But I suppose to some people it's a fine line between hating one's job and struggling to keep motivated/finding reasons to stay...

Nowadays (in the developed world at least) we're fortunate enough to have more choices (compared to previous generations), so we're naturally more demanding when it comes to job satisfaction and happiness etc (and also we've become more consumerist!).. so some may say we're just more ungrateful for the fact that we may have a job in the first place.

But at the same time I think just because there were fewer choices before it doesn't mean we can't seize what opportunities we may have if we can afford to do so.

Anyway, not sure what I'm saying, rambling again!

Kelvin said...

Hi Christine, I came across your blog through your article that was published in MyPaper. It spoke directly to me in my current circumstances.

Upon the completion of my legal training here in Australia, I've been thinking and plotting out my next phase of life.

Given my interest in international development, I'm planning to move over to Vietnam and Cambodia next month to volunteer and intern with a few organisations - in hope of gaining some new perspective on the global issues that we face today.

Just wanted to encourage you and affirm that your personal journey (and struggles) that you've dared to share in public is an inspiration to us all.

God bless!

Christine said...

Hi Kelvin

Many thanks for your comment and words of encouragement!

Wow how exciting that you're contemplating following what your heart's desires are calling you towards! My husband and I actually just came back from a week in Cambodia visiting various children at risk projects (dealing with issues of sexual trafficking and sexual abuse) and had a very inspiring time there. I'm planning to write a series of blog posts about what we saw so if you're interested watch this space!

Interning with NGOs on the ground is a really good way in I think, do you already have any idea who you might intern with? If you leave me your email I could try to get some names for you if that helps?

All the best!
Christine

Kelvin said...

I'm looking forward to reading about your experience in Cambodia! The area of human trafficking is also of an interest to me.

At the moment, I am still searching up on NGOS. I've already been working on this micro-finance project in Vietnam with a friend. I would probably be involved in it when I go over.

But yes, am definitely keen to be involved in some other NGOs. If you don't mind, some names would be of great value and help! Thanks for offering!

You can drop me an email at ktay10@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Kelvin