Thursday 10 January 2008

Some Observations about an English Christmas

This past Christmas I had the absolute pleasure and privilege of spending it with Rob and his family in Shropshire in the UK midlands. (Aussies: yes, it is indeed the Shropshire featured in the coffee ad back home!)

I had never spent Christmas with an English family before so I was very excited just thinking about it (and the many sumptuous meals of which I had heard so much)!

While spending time in the lovely house in Shropshire I became quite fascinated by a number of things:

1. The Aga

Apparently this stored-heat stove and cooker is very common in the UK, especially in the countryside. You can use the oven compartments as well as the "hobs". It runs on gas and seems permanently hot. I loved standing next to it warming myself while waiting for the kettle to boil. I discovered that there is also an Aga cookbook!

The Aga was invented by a Swedish physicist in the 1920s.

2. Walks in the countryside in your wellies

I first came across wellies when I was about 4. They were yellow and there was a cartoon figure on each one facing outwards. I wore them to kindergarten during rainy seasons. I had not seen them since my childhood days.

This Christmas I re-discovered the simple joy of marching (!) through the beautiful but often muddy fields wearing your wellies. This time my wellies are lilac, a lovely pair of Hunters from Rob.

3. Brussel sprouts and parsnips

Apparently you either love or hate these. Usually those who love Brussel sprouts hate parsnips and vice versa. There were lengthy negotiations over how many one must have, deals were struck to trade one for another....

I have yet to decide whether I love or hate them.

4. Stockings

Before Christmas arrived Rob kept telling me about the "stockings". I had thought, from memory of watching western cartoons, that stockings are where you put your Christmas presents. It turned out that you deposit the "main" presents under the tree and what you find in stockings are smaller presents which are either more practical things or fun things. I had become quite obsessed with the stocking business by midnight on Christmas Day and I was thrilled to receive my very long stocking from Father Christmas (Americans: read - Santa Claus) stuffed with 15 presents!

5. The turkey

For someone who is quite into food, I was quite embarrassed to find out that the turkey is actually very big compared to a chicken! I was told it weighs at least 4 times as an average chicken. Because of its size, it was able to feed us for many meals. Rob's mum was most talented in making different dishes out of the same bird! Apart from impressing the family with my lack of knowledge on turkeys, I must have left an equally deep impression having devoured a whole huge turkey leg over lunch one day.

6. The Queen's speech

Rob is a big fan of the Queen. Growing up in Hong Kong meant I saw the Queen on notes and coins and official documents, until the handover in 1997. But there was never much attachment or connection with the smiling and kind-looking royalty.

The Queen's speech on Christmas Day used to attract a lot more audience but with apparently half of the adult population in the UK falling asleep by 3pm due to the excessive consumption of food and alcohol (so I read), I doubt many actually watch the speech these days. However, it is part of the Lilwall tradition so we switched on the TV at 2:55pm! In her 50th televised Christmas speech, she spoke about caring for the marginalised in society, which wasn't exactly very cheery but it resonated with the central Christmas message. So I thought she did really well!

If you missed it, you can watch it at www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0nmkYGCljE


1 comment:

rgb said...

hehe very funny now everyone will know that Brodie won't eat his sprouts! Very good to see your insights!